Safe Harbors
   
Email Us
 
           
 
Home
Sexual Assault
Teen Dating
Resources
About Us
Email Us
 
 
(541) 426-4004
Fax (541) 426-0206
Email
safe@eoni.com
 
Office Hours

Monday-Thursday 8–5

Friday 8–1

 
View our page on
Internet Safety
 
24 Hr. Crisis Line 541.426.6565
 
 
   
Escape

SAFE HARBORS
Statement of Agency Organization

Safe Harbors is a grassroots, public, non-profit agency that provides crisis intervention and advocacy services in Wallowa County to victims of intimate partner violence. Wallowa County is a remote mountainous county in the northeast corner of Oregon.  Wallowa County is the 9th largest county in the state, spanning 3,200 square miles with a widely dispersed population of 7,200 people.  The four incorporated cities, Wallowa, Lostine, Enterprise and Joseph comprise 58% of the population, while the remaining 42% is scattered throughout the more rural areas. 

Safe Harbors originally began offering support and advocacy services in 1987 as an outreach program from Shelter from the Storm, a domestic and sexual violence victim’s agency in Union County.  As a response to the increased requests for services in Wallowa County, Safe Harbors formed as a non-profit organization in 1991. Safe Harbors’ goal is to promote the establishment of a community where violence and abuse are not acceptable.  Our primary purpose is to provide assistance to victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and to provide community education to break the cycle of violence.  Safe Harbors’ philosophy includes declaring freedom from fear of abuse as a basic human right; empowering survivors of violence to make their own choices by exercising their right to self-determination; respecting women, men and children equally; breaking the cycle of violence through education; offering a program that balances prevention, intervention and support; endorsing public policy that makes violence unacceptable; conducting our own affairs in an ethical and caring way; and establishing Safe Harbors in a leadership role in the community to promote a safe environment.

Our program began with a 24-hour crisis line, support group for survivors, a desk in the basement of our county courthouse and an operating budget of $12.00.  Today we are able to offer the following services to victims of domestic and sexual violence:

  • 24-hour domestic and sexual violence crisis line
  • 12-Bed secure temporary shelter
  • Safe homes for male victims
  • Crisis advocacy
  • “Women’s Circle” Empowerment Class
  • Assistance with restraining orders
  • Safety planning
  • Criminal justice support and advocacy
  • Referrals to housing, jobs, & childcare
  • Personal advocacy and compensation assistance
  • Emergency legal advocacy
  • Civil legal assistance
  • Referrals to community partnering agencies and resources
  • Sexual assault advocacy
  • Sexual Assault Response Team (SART)
  • Medical advocacy
  • Community education and awareness
  • School education programs in elementary, middle and high schools
  • From frequently made donations, Safe Harbors also provides or arranges for food, basic household items (i.e. furniture, appliances, toiletries) and other items clients may need

 

© 2008 Safe Harbors