Safe Harbors
Email Us
Sexual Assault
Teen Dating
About Us
Email Us
(541) 426-4004
Fax (541) 426-0206
Office Hours

Monday-Thursday 8–5

Friday 8–1

View our page on
Internet Safety
24 Hr. Crisis Line 541.426.6565



Crime Victims' Compensation

Oregon law says that people who have been victims of crime or are dependents of victims of crime may be able to receive money as compensation for their losses and expenses resulting from the crime. “Victim” means a person who is injured or killed as a result of a compensable crime committed against the victim in Oregon. A “compensable crime” is an intentional, knowing or reckless act by a person resulting in physical and/or emotional injury and/or the death of another person. Incidents of domestic violence may be compensable crimes.

Compensation Losses/Expenses
The kinds of losses and expenses for which the state may compensate include:

  • Mental health counseling
  • Reasonable medical and hospital expenses
  • Eyeglasses, hearing aids, dentures, and other devices that are medically necessary
  • Funeral expenses
  • Victim’s loss of earnings
  • Loss of support to dependents
  • Grief counseling for children who witness domestic violence
  • Mileage expense

To Be Eligible for Compensation You Must

  • Be a victim of a crime which occurred in Oregon
  • Report the crime to the police or sheriff within 72 hours*
  • Cooperate fully to apprehend and prosecute the assailant
  • Not have been involved in a wrongful act and/or did not provoke the assailant
  • Apply for compensation within 6 months of the crime*

     *May be waived under certain circumstances.

Victims Are Not Eligible If

  • The crime occurred prior to 10/4/97 and compensable expenses resulting from the crime do not total $100.
  • The injury or death resulted from an accident.

Compensation May Include

  • Up to $20,000 for reasonable medical and/or counseling expenses from a licensed professional.
  • Loss of earnings/support up to $400 per week to a maximum of $20,000.
  • Funeral expenses up to a maximum $3,500.
  • Rehabilitation up to a maximum of $4,000.
  • Reimbursement of mileage for medical/mental health treatment over 60 miles round trip when services are not available with another provider within the area.

Not available for crimes committed prior to October 4, 1997.

How to Apply

A victim or dependent of a victim of a crime must file an application for compensation under this law. Applications may be obtained and filed with: Crime Victims’ Compensation Program, Department of Justice; 1162 Court Street NE; Salem, OR 97310; (503) 378-5348.

After receiving the application, the Crime Victims’ Compensation Program will process your request for compensation. This requires obtaining police reports, medical reports, employment verification (when applicable), and any other information necessary for the investigation.

If the victim or dependent of the victim has any benefits available, such as sick leave, medical disability or life insurance, social security or restitution, amounts received from those sources will be deducted from any compensation awarded under this program.

The Crime Victims’ Compensation Program will notify applicants in writing of the decision on their claims. An appeals process is available if the applicant disagrees with the decision.


© 2008 Safe Harbors